Sunday, September 7, 2014

Golf as a Mirror

Golf, a game that offers such a razor's edge difference between failure and success, is such a great mirror for ourselves. 

It is a game that requires a contradictory version of what our conscious mind conceives of as being necessary for this success.  The conscious mind (ego) believes that tension and "controlling" the outcome will allow us to navigate this treacherous landscape.  However, sadly and often times with great frustration, we find that this strategy fails us completely.

It is only with relaxation (letting go of consciously controlling the result), rotation (letting go of our conscious mind's desire to go in a straight line) and rhythm (letting the natural pendulum create the force instead of with brute or less than brute strength) that we achieve the much sought after feeling of effortless power that goes toward the target.

Because of the tremendous difficulty of the game, we are constantly offered a mirror to what is going on for us internally as we play the game of golf.





When I arrived here in Manzanita, Oregon for a few weeks vacation and location scouting for a writing project for next summer, I went and played a round of golf at the local 9 hole course in town, Manzanita Golf Course.  I thought I was fairly relaxed and centered when I started the round.  However, the first few shots told me otherwise.  Pull hook off the 1st tee.  Block off the next.  Poor contact and a lot of effort was going into my golf swing and it felt all wrong.


When I made it to the fifth hole, a short par four with an elevated tee, I paused to take in the beauty of my surroundings.  A fog was rolling in off the ocean and the cool breeze felt like such a welcome contrast to the previous year I had spent in the desert.  I felt myself settle in and get grounded.  It took a while to feel myself center and ground more fully in the present moment.  I walked, I breathed and I began to feel more relaxed.



By the time I reached the seventh tee box, I felt a surge of confidence and trust.  I swung and struck that 4 iron squarely on the face.  The ball sailed through the moist heavy air, landed on the front of the green, rolled straight at the pin, nearly went in and settled in a few feet from the hole.  The next hole was the same as my approach shot to the par 4 finished a few feet from the hole again.  It felt easy and fun and effortless.  A complete contrast to the start of the round.

I love the game of golf because it offers the opportunity for truth.  If you think you are relaxed and trusting in your subconscious mind (Big Self)/the universe/God/your higher power, go play golf and find out.  It will surely offer unbiased feedback on how that process is going for you.

1 comment:

  1. Now you see why as business owners we take clients on the golf course to discuss business. You get to see first hand how laser focus and a commitment to your craft pays off, and then you get to see what happen if you are just a pretender. This game really will expose all of your weaknesses that you might not know you have,

    Jarrett @ The QATSPY Golf Approach

    ReplyDelete